Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Chef Boyardee is good (for you)



Now, I don't have children but I do have parents. And I'm sure there are plenty of things they have and would like to keep secret. They have had, or have perfectly valid reasons to hide things from me. Most of the time when I found out a secret it wasn't that mom and dad were going to surprise me with a secret half-birthday trip to disney world but rather something that sucked. Like Santa not being real. Or that "Adult" sleepovers were a lot different from the ones I had. So now if I figure out that if my parents have a secret I work as hard as I can to not find out. Secrets really are the very essence of Adulthood. Children blurt out things all the time because they can't see how words and knowledge can hurt, everything they take in they believe to be beneficial as good parents stress that knowledge is power. Unfortunately that is true but kids don't know the corollary that power hurts even those who wield it.
Now since my parents wanted the best for me and that included keeping secrets that would harm my perfectly innocent world-view they knew that in order to keep a secret one of the first steps would be to not put information on the table that would reveal the secret on the kitchen table while I'm eating dinner. Seriously.

1 comment: