Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

KFC facepalm.

Kentucky Grilled Chicken -



I kind of hate to jump on the "Hate KFC for reasons beyond the quality of their food" bandwagon, not to mention all the stereotypical assumptions I could make about Fried Chicken which be among the lowest hanging fruit I could grab and is just simply over done (or I could try to push a conspiracy theory that claims KFC is trying to make black men sterile) but its not my job to talk about KFC, its my job (hobby actually) to talk about KFC's commercials. I want you to notice the type of people they use in this ad and then play the "One of These Things Is Not Like the Other" game with regards to who is not being stereotyped. I'll give you a hint: it's not the two Asian guys who are dressed up in eastern styled robes who yell random accented English words while making vague karate moves while holding a bucket of chicken.
Seriously, everyone else in the commercial is dressed like a typical American (Middle-class) with a typical American accent (read: non-descript) and act as normal as you can be when presented with ten pieces of grilled meat in a bucket despite the fact that our whole lives we've been conditioned to accept that any meat that comes in a bucket must by nature, be fried. KFC I think I can speak for all of us when I say, our minds are blown at your bold proposal of putting un-fried meats in a bucket. I'm sure the Colonel is rolling in his grave.
But seriously, did you have to dress the Asian guys up to get across your point that you have changed your chicken? You seem to have the general conventions for the aesthetics of a commercial like this (taking an established product, then adding something new, and giving it out to "test" reactions) laid down. You have cute, diverse kids and a couple who I assume are married or at least very committed to one another in some way. You even have two sets of twins to register that "OMG! Their twins and its so cute when they say the same thing at the same time because their twins and thats what twins are supposed to do on TV!" synapse in the brain that has been firing ever since we've been deciding if the movie The Parent Trap isn't that far-fetched after all.
The best part about this whole thing is not that KFC somehow has gotten away with slipping in one of the most blatant race caricatures this side of the Frito Bandito, but rather that the commercial is telling you to "Unthink". Presumably you're supposed to be unthinking about how your chicken is prepared but that point is never really made explicitly. Though, "Unthink" does however kind of makes sense when I consider how much unthinking KFC's ad team must have done to have created this commercial.

No comments:

Post a Comment